Thursday, July 28, 2011

How To Disable Authentication For Ubuntu Software Center

I don't care for typing a password in just to install software in Ubuntu. In fact I don't care for this in any platform, even the app store from Apple on my iPhone. So I've disabled it as I'm the only user of this computer. Here is how to do it:

1. Hold down ALT and press F2, this will bring up the "Run a command" dialogue box.

2. Type this exactly, copy and paste doesn't work here (for me, anyway) into the box:

gksudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.debian.apt.policy (do not put .xml at the end)

This will open gedit with the proper access for editing this policy, which is owned by ROOT.

3. Hold CTRL and hit F, in the search box copy and paste this:

org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages

4. Under the line that says <defaults>, edit the next 3 lines to this:

<allow_any>yes</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

5. Hit Save and exit, you do not need to restart Ubuntu.

Now go to the Ubuntu Software Center and find something you wish to install, did it ask for your password?

20 comments:

  1. dude ur a god send...i have tried everything on the net with ubuntu 12.04 to do this....nothing worked until now......thank u very much. Does that take care of asking for passwords for other stupid things as well? or is it jst 4 the software center

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't get past step one as it pops up a password text, which i never setup in the first place, yet it thinks i did. And i don't want to hear any bs about how i never could have setup my distro without putting one in, because i didn't and yet here i am. Looks like reinstalling is my only option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mate, was driving me bananas. grrrrr.

    I guess they don't want Unity users to be able to do anything at all with out a 'do you really really want to do that? Really? You sure?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works! Awesome!
    No one else knew how to fix it even on Ubuntu own site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. at step one in came up with an icon with the address I had just written and clicking on it did nothing.

    Any ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try pasting sudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.debian.apt.policy
      instead of gksudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.debian.apt.policy on Step 2

      Delete
  6. Im using ubuntu 15.04 and when i type the step 2 and enter i just went back to my main menu

    ReplyDelete
  7. thx man i was really stack, it worked out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - it worked perfectly. I didn't have to restart the Software Centre even.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEA MINE ISN'T WORKING. IT IS STIL ASKING ME FOR A PASSWORD

    ReplyDelete
  10. how to remove authentication and password?
    i am first to use ubuntu so i am not able to install modules in pyth
    on & failled to install software updater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOSH, you're godlike, DUDE you've save my day sir. you are my hero

    ReplyDelete
  12. Help pliz I tried that process for removing user authentication but now i forgot the password..how do I resert or remove the forgotten password?

    ReplyDelete